I was so honoured to recently meet Vera, who is the Marketing Manager at Women in Need Society. We had coffee and it was one of the moments where I felt like I could spend the day just chatting fashion with Vera. Vera has a strong passion in helping women and in supporting eco friendly products. I was able to connect with her right away, as one of my huge passions and an area I have devoted much of my career to is womens rights and supporting those women in need. Read about Vera below and find out how she is combining her love for helping others with her zest for fashion forward thinking and social causes!
1. Tell me a little bit about yourself? Tm a seeker of possibility, in myself, others and the world. I believe in the power of positive thinking. I love learning about new things, especially in the areas of wellness, health and personal development (I may be slightly addicted to self help books and inspirational podcasts! I'm passionate about CrossFit, the Rocky Mountains feed my soul, and I love to hike, bike, ski and spend time with my friends. I/m proud to work as the Marketing Manager at Women In Need Society.
2. How do you define style for yourself?
Style is about being confident. For me that means feeling good physically, mentally and spiritually. It takes commitment and effort but its so worth it!!
3. What's your must have style accessory? A unique necklace - there are a lot of local designers that make amazing jewelry! Also, I never leave the house without a scarf - summer or winter it's a must for me!
4. If there was one piece of style advice you would give to others what would be it be? Maybe this is cliche, but honestly if you are comfortable in your own skin, know what you stand for and really own your unique style, then you can rock the world! Oh and a great haircut helps!
5. What sparked your interest in sustainable style? My best friend introduced me to consignment shopping over a decade ago and I fell in love with it because I promptly found a designer dress that I could afford! I love the idea of extending the life of a piece of clothing beyond the original owner, making it your own and saving money in the process. I also consign clothing I no longer wear and its cool to know that someone else will love it. Plus it allows me to shop for free every once in a while and what is better than that?!
6. What's your favorite vintage, sustainable, or eco fashion stores? Why? There are so many fantastic consignment shops in Calgary but a special shout out to Danielles and The Clothing Bar where I am a regular shopping/consignor. Plus they donate items they cant sell to Women In Need Society thrift stores so that we can continue to help women and families right here in the city! Thrift shopping has become near and dear to my heart since I started working at WINS earlier this year. Thrift shopping is an amazing way to recycle, repurpose and find gems for your closet and home that are truly one-of-a-kind and so easy on the wallet!!
7. Currently wearing? I am loving my leggings paired with a long sweater or a tunic. Super comfy and I feel put together and stylish.